Tuesday 25 October 2011

acne: beat it, just beat it


Although I had typical teenage pimples like most people, my skin got BA-A-A-D at a weird age, like 19 to 20. My boyfriend claimed he didn't care that his girlfriend suddenly morphed into a less-tasty pizza but I didn't even want to leave the house.


Magazines, usually my go-to for all life matters, disheartened me as their 'Get Perfect Skin Fast!' articles seemed to cater for People Without Pimples. Screw dat!


It took a lot of perseverance, trial and error and some funky side effects along the way, but I've finally beat 'em! I thought I'd share my experiences seeing as the lack of information out there depressed me as much as the red army on my face.


skinspiration: Karlie Kloss at elle.com
PROACTIV
  • Active ingredient: benzoyl peroxide
  • Smells weird, like diapers
  • Pimples disappear fast, but leave red marks
  • Expensive + shipping/debit system= odd. Plenty of cheaper products with BPread the labels!  
  • Could be great, espec. with resilient skin
*Also see my rosehip oil rave if you need to fade pigmentation.

ST IVE'S APRICOT SCRUB
  • Active ingredient: salicylic acid
  • Inexpensive, easy to find
  • Doesn't cause as many red marks
  • Not for daily-use- if you feel like it works, use to supplement a skin routine featuring a salicylic acid-based cleaner and/or lotion


DIET AND EXERCISE
  • Ha, yeah right. Ask someone else about that.


ROACCUTANE
  • This is mega HK- my doctor daddy was appalled when dermatologist rec'd this
  • If you've tried everything else and nothing worked it's worth a try
  • Will clear you up, but the journey won't be pretty. I went off it because I couldn't hack it.
  • Side effects: peeling skin, cracked sore lips, I got this weird toe thing (google paronychia if you dare- nasty!!) and some people have reported depression on it.


THE PILL
  • Hard to predict what will work
  • Was on generic Levlen- no change whatsoever
  • Yasmin (apparently wonder drug for skin) broke me out worse than ever
  • Finally went on Dianne-35 and the heavens parted... HALLELUJAH! No more pimples! 
skinspiration: Karmen Pedaru at elle.com


MY REMEDY

- Figure out whether your skin responds better to salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide and buy according products 

- If neither works, choose gentle products (Think: Cetaphil, witch hazel, rose hip oil and tea tree oil)


- Make sure your makeup isn't breaking you out. Look for non-codomegic or dermatologist-tested products. Mineral makeup is good & I personally <3 Innoxa


- Cleanse. Tone. Moisturise. 2x daily. Exfoliate. 3x weekly. Targeted lotion on blemishes. 1x nightly

- Consistency is key! Don't give up before a few months

- Life is too short to be a pizza face- if you have been a slave to your skincare routine with no results, visit a doctor or dermatologist and ask for a prescription 


GOOD LUCK!


skinspiration: Natasha Poly at elle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment